Zef Segal is a lecturer of History and Mathematics at the Open University of Israel and an adjunct lecturer of Mathematics at Tel-Aviv Jaffa College.
His research interests include the study of space and spatiality in the nineteenth century and their interrelations with changing concepts and practices of mobilities and communication. His work combines traditional and computational historical methodologies.
- 2013: Ph.D., Tel Aviv University, Department of History, (“Practices and Representations of the State Space: The Medium Sized German States in the Years 1815-1866”), supervised by Prof. Shulamit Volkov.
- 2008: MSc., Tel Aviv University, Department of Mathematics (Thesis in Graph theory, “Variation of the Game Chromatic Number”), Supervised by Prof. Michael Krivelevich.
- 2005: MA, Tel Aviv University, Department of Philosophy (Thesis in Moral Philosophy and Aesthetics, “The Aesthetic Ethics and its Realization in ‘On the Aesthetic Education of Man’ by Friedrich Schiller”), supervised by Prof. Zvi Tauber.
- 2005: BSc, Tel Aviv University, Department of Mathematics (Pure mathematics).
- 2003: BA, the Open University, Humanities (Majors: History and Philosophy).
- 2021: Hiob-Ludolf-Fellowships at the Research Library Gotha. (Maps on the Move: The Introduction of Motion into Modern Cartography)
- 2020-2026: Principal Researcher in Historical Journalism and Digital Methodologies, Open Media and Information Lab, The Open University of Israel. Three research assistants under my supervision.
- 2018- 2019: Research Fellow in Historical Journalism and Digital Methodologies, Open Media and Information Lab, The Open University of Israel.
- 2016: Research Fellow in the History of Race and Ethnicity, Post-doctoral fellowship at the German Historical Institute, Washington DC. (The role of cartographers and skin-color maps in the invention of racial color schemes).
- 2014-2016: Post-doctoral Fellow, Government and Politics Department, Ben Gurion University. (New conceptualization of the history of the bordering process). Host: Prof. David Newman.
- 2014-2015: Research fellow, Haifa Center for German & European Studies, Haifa University.
- 2013-2014: Post-doctoral Fellow, Department of General History and Bucerius Institute for Research of Contemporary German History and Society, Haifa University. (“Black on white”- Mapping New States 1800-1939). Host: Dr. Zur Shalev.
- 2013- 2016: Post-doctoral Fellow, Da’at Hamakom, Center for the Study of Cultures of Place in the Modern Jewish World, The Hebrew University (Communications analysis of European and American orthodox communities in the turn of the nineteenth century). Host: Prof. Menahem Blondheim.
- 2013- 2015: Post-doctoral Fellow, The Harry S. Truman Research Institute for the Advancement of Peace, Hebrew University (Communication Patterns and Social Regrouping: Integration, Secession and Transnationalism).
- 2009: Short-term DAAD Fellow, LMU, Munich. Host: Wolfram Siemann
- 2016-Present: Lecturer, Department of History, Philosophy and Judaic Studies, The Open University.
- 2012- Present: Lecturer, Department of Mathematics and Computer Science, The Open University.
- 2006- Present: Adjunct Lecturer, Department of Computer science, Academic College of Tel Aviv-Jaffa.
- 2021: Adjunct Lecturer, Department of Economics, Tel Aviv University.
- 2018-2020: Adjunct Lecturer, Digital Humanities Program, Haifa University.
- 2016-2019: Adjunct Lecturer, Mandel School for Advanced Studies in the Humanities, Digital Humanities.
- 2013-2014: Adjunct Lecturer, Department of General History, Haifa University.
- 2012-2014: Adjunct Lecturer, Ruppin College, School of Engineering.
- 2008, 2015: Adjunct Lecturer, Afeka College of Engineering.
- 2005-2011: Adjunct Lecturer, Department of Mathematics, Tel Aviv University.
- 2022-present: Member of the steering committee of the interdisciplinary center for Digital Humanities and Social Sciences at the Open University of Israel.
- 2021-Present: The Open University, Digital Humanities Consultant , the Department of Humanities.
- 2020-Present: The Open University, Academic Consultant.
- 2019- Present: The Open University, Member of the Learning Analytics Committee.
- 2018- Present: The Open University, The Department of Humanities, Member of the Academic Sub-committee.
- 2018- 2020: The Open University, The Department of Mathematics and Computer Science, Member of the Academic Sub-committee.
- 2017-2020: Tel Aviv Jaffa Academic College, Member of the Board of Governors.
(in chronological order)
- 2023-2024: Review Editor, JHistory
- 2021: Member of the JHistory First Friday Steering Group.
- 2021: Member of the Organization Committee of the third Association of Border Studies World conference in Eilat, Israel (2023).
- 2020: Lecturer and faculty, Winter School of Digital Humanities, the Hebrew University
- 2018-2019: Co-founder of the Digital Humanities Program of the Open University of Israel.
- 2015-2016: Organizer of a monthly working group on “Movement, Fixation and what lies in between”, hosted by the Professorial Chair in Geopolitics (Ben Gurion University).
- 2014-2015: Organizer of a monthly research working group on “Maps and Political Imagination: Space, Politics and Representation”, hosted by the Professorial Chair in Geopolitics (Ben Gurion University).
- 2014: Co-organizer of an international conference “Border at the Interface”, Beer-Sheva, December 2014.
- 2013-2016: Advisor to “Jewish Cultures on the Map: A Web Based Platform” developed by Da’at HaMakom excellence center at the Hebrew University. https://www.daat-hamakom.com/projects/jewish-cultures-on-the-map-jcm-a-web-based-platform-developed-by-daat-hamakom/
- 2013- 2022: The Israeli Orienteering Association, Member of the Board of Directors. Position: National Teams’ manager.